Senior Updates 21st October 2018

Senior Updates 21st October 2018

There were 2 games in the senior section this weekend with the A’s in action in the 3rd round of the FAI Junior Cup at home to Tralee Dynamos. With a few players out with injury and other commitments, Killorglin were delighted to bring in some of our youth players and with Dynamos also with a young squad this looked like being a tough contest. Dynamos were quickest off the mark and only for some fine goalkeeping from Tony Lyons (not a youth player) from a free just outside the box we could have been down after 5 mins. Unfortunately after 20 mins Tony had to come off with an injury and Ricky Flaherty had to step in. Killorglin started to settle into the game and in the 24th min. it was Eoin Clifford who, with a great strike, had the home team in front. Dynamos created some openings but were unable to capitalise and in the 35th min. Killorglin with some great work up the left wing Mike Carey crossed the ball low and hard across the box for his brother Lee to slot home. 5 mins. later it was that same combination that had the home team 3 up at the break.
5 mins into the 2nd half and Conor Standon was introduced into the back line for Paddy Collins, who was still feeling the effects of an ankle injury, and a couple of mins later Dynamos had a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty. It was well stuck giving young Flaherty no chance in the Killorglin goal. Killorglin upped the pace again and the midfield combination of Audie Dunlea and Jamie Clifford began to put the pressure on and with some well timed runs up front it wasn’t long before Lee Carey had his hatrick. Dylan O’Sullivan was rewarded for his hard work when he headed home from a fantastic Eoin Clifford cross more or less ending the tie. Dynamos did pull back another with a fantastic free kick but Ricky Flaherty great credit to him made 2 or 3 fine stops. Killorglin made 3 more substitutions, manager Gerry Kelliher giving Evan Madden his senior debut. Lee Carey added another to his tally and Manus Gallagher rounded off a fine performance with his first goal on his debut for the A team. The game finished 7-2 so Killorglin into the 4th round of the cup. Some great performances on the day with a mention for youth’s Tim O’Shea and Eoin Clifford looking very comfortable at this level and also Sean Turner who had a fine game stepping up from last years B team.

Team: Tony Lyons (capt), Pa Knightly, Paddy Collins, Sean Turner, Tim O’Shea, Eoin Clifford, Audie Dunlea, Jamie Clifford, Mike Carey, Lee Carey and Dylan O’Sullivan. Subs: Ricky Flaherty, Conor Stanton, Evan Madden, Ian Costello, Manus Gallagher and Ronan O’Shea.

The 2nd game of the day saw the B’s playing at home to Kenmare in the 4th game of their league campaign. After last weeks defeat at home to Castlegregory, Mike Griffin and his backroom staff were looking for a big performance from their boys. Unfortunately they found themselves a goal down when a corner not cleared was headed home at the back post by Kenmare. Thankfully Killorglin didn’t have to wait long for the equaliser when Keith Curtin found Aiden O’Sullivan who had made a great run through the Kenmare defence and cooly slotted home for his first of the season. This was a fairly even game with both sides creating openings. Both sides had chances to take all 3 points with Aiden O’Sullivan pulling the ball just wide of the post and only for some Kamikase defending from Aiden Joy the game could have gone either way. It finished 1-1 and first point on the board for Killorglin so hopefully more to come.

Team: Brian O’Sullivan, Aiden Joy, Dylan Carey, Brendan Aherne, Conor Bernie, Anthony Abogunrin, Sean Costello(Capt), Keith Curtin, Darragh Bergin, Jamie Cunningham, Aiden O’Sullivan. Subs: Mike o’Grady, Shane Aherne, Kierin Whittleton, Gerome Houlihan and Mitch.

That’s it for now don’t forget for all the latest results and fixtures check out

Comments are closed.